Tax Collector needed for Beacon
This is a very responsible
administrative position involving the direction of municipal tax collection
operation. Oversees and administers the CT Statutory responsibilities of the
Tax Office which includes planning, organizing and supervising the billing, and
collection of Real Estate, Motor Vehicle, Motor Vehicle Supplemental, Personal
Property Taxes, and Water/Sewer Assessments. Performs duties independently,
making decisions in all areas of tax collection in accordance with state
statues and as appropriate with federal laws. Does provide direction to
Administrator to the Tax Collector and P/T Clerk to Assessor/Tax Department.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Problem Solver-Must be able to handle/resolve all
disputes that come up concerning tax collection problems in an amicable
- Plans, organizes and executes the preparation and
processing of all tax bills in an automated collection system.
- Works closely with Assessor, Town Clerk, Board of
Selectman, Board of Finance, and Finance Department.
- The issuing of Monthly Reports to the Board of
Selectman, Board of Finance, Tax Collector, and Finance Department.
- Attend Board of Selectman and Board of Finance Meetings
at least on a quarterly basis to assure that accounting procedures are
- Supervises the receipt, reconciliation and deposits of
tax collections on a daily basis.
- Organizes and maintains a records system to at least
include: Receipts and deposits, liens- putting on/off, corrections,
transfers. Overpayments. Submits receipt deposit copies to Finance
Department. Issuing of demand notices/warrants. Issuing of delinquents to
- Oversees/Inputs DMV CIVILS program. Delinquent MV Put
- Oversees/inputs Point & Pay Credit Card System
- Oversee/inputs Remote Scanning System
- Executes electronic bank coding for July Billing and
sends to Assessor
- M1 Reporting to State of Connecticut
- Prepares mandated legal ads as needed
- Files and Release Real Estate liens
- Balances Assessors G/L to initial rate book
- Supervises conversion to new fiscal year
- Analyzes office and collection procedures and
implements improvements as necessary.
- Investigates technology improvements and upon
recommendation work into office procedures.
- Participates in professional Tax Collector
- Provides training to employees on collection practices
License or Certificate:
Connecticut Certified Municipal
Collector will be required; however, once hired can take classes to obtain one
in a 3 year period.