|Position:|| ||Senior Accountant / Treasurer|
|Municipality:||Town of Stratford|
SENIOR ACCOUNTANT / TREASURER
The Town of Stratford is currently accepting applications for the position of Senior Accountant/Treasurer.
This is a very responsible professional accounting position involving the maintenance of records for municipal banking and investment operations, municipal expenditures and revenues, preparing trial balances and financial reports.
Work involves responsibility for maintaining accounting records for the collection of current and delinquent revenues and Town income from various sources. Preparing and verifying daily bank deposits, transfers of cash between various bank and investment accounts. Preparing journal entries and reports for the documentation of banking activity. Preparing cash flow forecasts and work papers for the Town’s short-term investments.
Responsible for maintaining files and accounting records of all town grants, receiving, drawing down and recording grant revenues, posting and reconciling revenues and expenditures, preparing financial reports and other duties as required.
Duties include providing input into Town policy, departmental planning and direction. Work requires the employee have considerable knowledge, skill and ability in every phase of accounting, grant administration, banking and investments work. Work involves implementing departmental goals and objectives.
Work is performed under general supervision of the Assistant Finance Director or Director of Finance.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES:
- Plans, organizes and performs work maintaining or implementing Grant accounting systems, procedures and controls.
- Posts and reconciles general ledgers, trial balances and satisfactorily resolves differences in a timely manner; research, review, analyze, verify and enter financial transactions into computerized accounting, budgeting, and receivables systems and sub-systems.
- Verifies and performs work in the areas of investments, revenue collections, receivables, and division payroll.
- Reviews, interprets and implements relevant laws, regulations and ordinances
- Prepares periodic grant reports; receives revenue and/or initiates electronic transfer/draw-downs of grand funds; prepares journal entries and other documentation to post revenue to general ledgers.
- May supervise the operations of the division as Acting Assistant Finance Director and administers and evaluates employees engaged in division activities.
- Prepares financial statements, including supplementary and supporting schedules, and audit work papers in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
- Prepares special purpose financial reports and analyses for use by senior management, grantors, and other departments of the Town.
- Communicates with banks, Town officials, and citizens when necessary to provide information and assist with the resolution of problems and complaints.
- Prepares statistical and narrative reports for federal, state and town agencies.
- Includes other duties as may be assigned by the Assistant Director of Finance or Director of Finance.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Considerable knowledge of banking and revenue collection procedures
Considerable knowledge of accounting principles and practices
Considerable knowledge of tax collection laws, regulations and ordinances
Sound knowledge of the principles and practices of public administration
Considerable skill in business mathematics
Considerable skill in oral and written communications
Considerable ability to make decisions within deadlines
Considerable ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with superiors, associates, subordinates, banks, other agencies and the public
Bachelor’s degree from a recognized college or university in Accounting, Finance, Business or Public Administration or a closely related field and (2) two years of increasingly responsible experience in governmental accounting, tax or revenue collection; or an equivalent combination of education and experience which provides a demonstrated potential for performing the duties of the class.
$55,314 - $74,783
Applications can be found on the town’s website: www.townofstratford.com/humanresources and should be submitted to the Town of Stratford, Human Resources Department, 2725 Main Street, Stratford, CT. EOE.