TOWN OF LEDYARD
DIRECTOR OF FINANCE
Town of Ledyard is seeking a member of the senior level management team. This position works directly with the Mayor
to provide critical financial planning and oversight of the annual operating budget
in excess of $60M. The position will open
in January 2022 due to a retirement.
Interested individuals may
complete the application form on the Town website at ledyardct.org
or by contacting Donald Steinhoff, Director of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. The closing date for applications is
December 15, 2021.
NATURE OF WORK:
Plans, organizes, and directs
the accounting, purchasing, and risk management operations of the town. Prepares supporting data for the annual
operating and capital improvement budget recommendations. Oversees revenue collection, assessment
operations, and budget administration.
Receives general direction
from the Mayor and functional direction from the Town Council.
Provides general direction and
supervision of the Finance Department staff, including the Tax Assessor and Tax
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Plans work according to fiscal year schedule.
- Establishes priorities in organizing department work.
- Directs the functional areas of accounting, payroll, property
assessment, purchasing, and revenue collection.
- Assists in the preparation and administration of the Mayorís
budget and indebtedness program.
- Oversees Town Liability and Accident Insurance Policies, Workers
Compensation Insurance, and all Health Insurance Plans.
- Work closely with Bond Counsel and consultants on the issuance of
bonds and long-term debt.
- Establishes and administers funds for special grants.
- Coordinates revenue and expenditures of town funds and account
- Performs calculating, posting, and verifying duties in maintaining
line accounts and the General Ledger.
- Reviews purchase orders for proper account coding, mathematical
accuracy, correct prices, and discounts.
- Signs purchase orders and accounts payable checks.
- Oversees reconciling of bank accounts.
- Provides budgetary control information to departments.
- Prepares cost projections for collective bargaining negotiations
when requested from the negotiation team.
- Prepares statistical and technical information for bond offerings.
- Prepares regular statistical and narrative reports, including
financial statements, for the Mayor, Town Council, and council committees
- Assumes responsibility for administrative functions in the absence
of the Tax Assessor and Tax Collector.
- Supervises the planning and implementation of software
applications for municipal financial operations.
- Provides fiscal consultation to town departments, commissions, and
boards. Attends nightly meetings as
- Prepares and provides reports, contacts, and all requested
information to external auditors throughout the annual audit process
- Administers municipal financial software applications, systems and
- Provides training on municipal fiscal software to town staff.
- Co-administers the town defined benefit pension plan and the
defined contribution plan.
- Participates in professional organizations to remain current in
- Works closely with the Municipal Bond Advisor and Bond Counsel for
all municipal borrowing considerations.
*****The duties listed
above are intended only as illustrative of the various types of work that may
be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties
does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a
logical assignment to the position. *****
Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- A Bachelorís degree in Accounting, Public Administration, Finance,
or a closely related field.
- Five years of responsible experience in financial management,
including two years supervising a finance department.
- Thorough knowledge of municipal financial administration,
including accounting, budgeting, and purchasing.
- Ability to prepare financial statements in accordance with generally
accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and Governmental Accounting
Standards Board (GASB).
- Ability to recognize weaknesses in town financial systems and to create
and implement improvements for increased effectiveness.
- Ability to supervise managerial and support staffs.
- Knowledge of municipal financial software applications, Munis is highly preferred.
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office Suite, and other
common business and governmental software applications.
- Ability to interpret and analyze complex financial data.
- Ability to prepare clear, concise oral and written reports.
Means of transportation. Means of contact.
Physical and/or psychological
examinations as may be required during employment.
Drug screening both pre-employment
and as may be required during employment.
Criminal background and
driving record checks are required prior to employment.
The physical demands
described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties
of this job, the employee is frequently required to hear, speak, stand, sit, walk,
bend, twist, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; climb stairs to various levels; use
hands to finger, feel or operate objects, tools or controls; use wrists for
repetitive motion; reach with hands and arms; drive, tolerate exposure to environmental
The employee must
occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Specific abilities required by the job include normal audio ability,
close vision, distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception,
and the ability to adjust focus. Hand-eye
coordination is necessary to operate computers and various pieces of equipment.
Employee must be free from
mental and physical disorders which would interfere with performance of duties
as described and have the ability to maintain composure with the public and
co-workers in every day stressful and emergency situations. Employee may occasionally be required to
function in situations where he/she is subjected to aggressive verbal behavior.
****This job description
does not constitute an employment agreement or contract between the employer
and the employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the
employer and requirements of the job change.****
Adopted by Ledyard town
Council on: _____________
DRAFT SEP 2021