|Position:|| ||Director of Finance and Operations|
|Municipality:||Danbury CT. BOE|
of Finance and School Support Services JobID: 4838
- Position Type:
- Date Posted:
Beaver Brook Administrative
- Closing Date:
Open Until Filled
The Director of Finance and Support Services
is responsible to the Superintendent of School for the administration of the
financial and support services of the District so as to enhance the best
delivery of educational services with the financial and support resources
REPORTS TO: Superintendent
SUPERVISES: Assistant to
the Finance Director, Director of Sites and Facilities including Security,
Coordinators of Transportation and Food Services.
I. Management of Financial Affairs
- Supervises the management of the financial affairs of the District and
- Assumes responsibility for budget development and control.
- Develops long-range financial plans for the District and prepares
alternative financial scenarios to aid in financial planning.
- Plans and implements a school and program cost center accounting system
for both general and grant operations which will facilitate systematic cost
analysis, program evaluation, planning and priority setting.
- Develops, monitors and oversees a continuous process of internal
controls and auditing for expenditure review.
- Develops a systematic and on-going program related to achieving cost
containment, avoidance and effectiveness.
- Oversees the financial administration of State and Federal grants.
- Coordinates the implementation of financial software for the school
- Oversees the performance and evaluation of the Finance Department
operations team with responsibility for Payroll, Accounts Payable, and
- Prepares periodic financial and operational reports to keep the
Superintendent and Board of Education informed about the financial and
operational affairs of the district.
II. Purchasing Role
- Directs and coordinates all purchasing, leasing, contracting, bidding
and receiving for supplies, materials and equipment.
- Maintains inventory control and efficient warehouse procedures as
- Assumes responsibility for making recommendations to the Superintendent
for support services contracts to be entered into by the Board of Education.
- Completes, on an annual basis, an inventory of all school equipment,
supplies and property.
III. Sites and Facilities, including Security
- Oversees the operations and maintenance of all District facilities in
order to assure maximum educational utilization, as well as a healthful,
comfortable and safe environment for pupils and staff.
- Oversees staffing levels, performance assessment and discipline of
custodial and security staff as required.
- Monitors the planning, implementation and supervision of a program of
school plant management.
- Develops capacity studies based on enrollment projections and use of
- Oversees Coordinator of Security to insure the security of all buildings and
safety of staff and visitors.
IV. Contract Management
- Monitors the overall operation and maintenance of the school buses to
insure safe and economical transportation for children. Investigates transportation
requests of parents and resolves potential issues.
- Monitors the operation of the school food services program by providing
the necessary facilities and equipment in the operation of the school lunch
program in close cooperation with those staff members or leasees
assigned to this service.
- Negotiates and finalizes contract negotiations with vendors for
essential products, goods and services in the District.
- Prepares financial analysis of material requested for use in labor
contract negotiations and serve as a member of the negotiating team as
V. General Administrative Role
- Serves as liaison to departments in the City of Danbury on Financial
and Support Services matters. Works closely with retained lobbyist to
Connecticut's General Assembly, along with the Danbury delegation, to identify
legislative needs, to understand state and local funding opportunities, and to
update the Superintendent and Board of Education about important legislative
activity related to school funding and operations.
- Evaluates the quality and effectiveness provided through the finance
and support operations, recommending structural and operational changes that
can contribute to heightened efficiency and effectiveness.
- Administers all local, State and Federal policies and regulations that
pertain to the finance and support operations of the district.
- Attends Board of Education meetings, Finance and Facilities
Sub-Committee meetings as needed, prepares reports and presentations as
- Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Superintendent.
- A minimum of a
Bachelor's degree required; Masters degree preferred.
- 3-5 years of
demonstrated experience as a School Business official in
Connecticut, with urban experience preferred.
- 5 years of experience in
accounting, finance and business operations required.
- Strong knowledge of business
law and practices of governmental agencies.
- Operational knowledge of
Infinite Visions/Tyler Technologies, Frontline, and Powerschool products
- State of CT certification in
School Business Administration (085) required. Additional certification
in Intermediate Administration preferred.
- Two current letters of
recommendation from direct supervisors required.
Working Conditions: This is a exempt full time, twelve
months per year position.
Salary: A competitive salary and benefits package
commensurate with qualifications and experience. General salary range
All applicants must apply online at www.danbury.k12.ct.us